KNS Board of Trustees
Board of Trustees
The school is governed by a Board of Trustees comprising parent representatives, a teacher representative and the Principal.
The Board focuses its governance on the 6 National Administrative Guidelines.
- Student achievement and curriculum
- Self review and policy
- Property and finance
- Health and safety
- Administration / legal compliance
Representative members are generally elected through Board elections, which are held every three years. The next election will be in 2019.
The current Kelburn Normal School board members are:
- Chris Bishop (Parent Rep)
- Justin Gray (Parent Rep)
- Andrea Keenan (Parent Rep)
- Fiona McLean (Parent Rep)
- John Sneyd (Parent Rep)
- Nickie van der Beek (Chair)
- Andrew Bird (Principal)
- Kayleigh Peach (Staff Rep)
Role of the Board
Some key roles of the Board are to:
- Ensure that the school provides a safe environment and quality education for the students.
- Set the strategic direction of the school, in consultation with staff, parents, and students.
- Approve the school's annual budget and report its operation to the community.
- Govern the management of personnel, property, finance and administration.
- Liaise closely with the Principal as the Professional Leader and Chief Executive Officer of the Board.
- Liaise closely with the community, particularly through key groups such as the school’s Parent Teacher Association.
- The Principal and staff are then responsible for implementing the strategic plan, as the overriding guide to the management of the school.
The New Zealand School Trustees Association (NZSTA) has developed an area on its website called ‘Parent Place’ which has some excellent information for parents and caregivers regarding the role of boards of trustees. You can download a copy of ‘A parents guide to the role of the board of trustees’ here.
The Board encourages parents to become involved in the school. If you have questions or complaints, please follow the process of taking them initially to the teacher or staff member involved. If you don’t get a satisfactory response, the matter needs to be escalated to the Syndicate Leader, Assistant Principal, Deputy Principal, Principal and, if necessary, the Board of Trustees.
Issues related to the day-to-day management of the school need to be discussed with the Principal, but the Board welcomes communication from parents in relation to the overall governance of the school. We will review and respond to any correspondence regularly.
Parents are also welcome to attend Board meetings, held monthly at the school. Check the school calendar or ask the office staff for meeting dates. Copies of minutes are available at the school office or from the Board secretary Loraine Best.
School Policies and Procedures
KNS policies and procedures are maintained via SchoolDocs. You can access using the credentials below:
Copyright: Except where stated, the content on this site is the copyright of SchoolDocs Ltd. It may not be reproduced without written permission from SchoolDocs Ltd