We live in an increasingly digital world. Digital literacy is now an essential skill. We enable children to use digital technologies for their learning as well as being competent in using the ever increasing range of technologies.
Digital learning is not a subject in itself, more we use it to both consume knowledge (apps that bring learning to us for increased quantity basic facts and skills practice) and create learning (publish and present our learning to the google platform for others to view).
Our aim is for our students to:
- acquire competence in the use of skills, app, or media, including how to code
- know how to use digital technologies for the inquiry process
- use digital technologies to develop and enhance their multiple literacies
- use digital technologies to develop as critical thinkers and problem solvers
- use digital technologies to create, collaborate, and communicate
- use digital technologies to develop their capacity and agency as learners
- understand and exercise their rights and responsibilities as digital citizens.
Computers and Devices
The school is fully networked with wireless technology. Our school devices are an educational tool as well as a tool for work and life; the development of digital literacy is a key to learning.
All staff and students are required to complete a ‘Computer Use Agreement’ before using the school’s network. Developing an understanding of the responsibilities of digital citizenship is necessary for all members of the school community.
Every computer is connected and therefore all require teacher supervision and surveillance. Screens must face into the room. Students must not be using the internet without an adult present. Cybersafety is to be carefully monitored in adherence to our Digital Safety policy.
Devices and computers are valuable resources, and we have a simple procedure to ensure they are used equitably and kept in good condition. Older children will be familiar with this procedure.
Apart from library Chromebooks, devices are to kept in the syndicates and not borrowed except in exceptional circumstances. Devices are to be used inside classrooms, library, or in between rooms only. Devices need to be kept off the floor. Devices are online only when teachers are in room, including in the library.