What Is Enrolment?
Enrolment is the official procedure of registering your child into the New Zealand education system, and into Kelburn Normal School, and gives us an opportunity to welcome your family into our school community.
When do I enrol my child?
It is very important to us to have an accurate record of the pre schoolers living inside our school zone. These numbers assist us to accurately predict the number of teachers we need to cater for the number of new enrolments. Even if you are unsure if your child will start school with us please inform the school office that you have a pre schooler living in the school zone. The sooner the better.
How Do I Enrol My Child/Children?
- Phone the school (475-9351) and indicate your interest in enrolling your child. Ask to speak to the enrolment officer who will make an appointment for you to see the the Principal or the Deputy Principal.
- Attend this appointment with your child, if possible. For New Entrant enrolments arrangements will be made for pre-enrolment visits once an enrolment application has been accepted.
- As part of the enrolment application you will be required to provide details of documentation for official school records. Parents of five year-olds and children new to New Zealand must bring their child’s birth certificate or passport to verify their date of birth and visa status. In addition, parents enrolling five year old New Zealand residents will be required to provide a copy of their child’s immunisation record, a copy of which should be available from your GP. Proof of your residential address such as a utility invoice. Names, addresses and contact numbers of emergency contacts will also be required. These contacts are trusted family members/friends who can be contacted if the school is unable to contact the child’s principal caregivers in an emergency (e.g. illness or injury).
- On your child’s first day of school, please call at the school office in Kowhai Road. You and your child will be taken to the appropriate classroom.
- In the case of students who have never been enrolled before, an Enrolment Record will be begun for the student, and in the case of other students, the Enrolment Record will be requested from the student’s previous school.
- To enrol your child/ren at Kelburn Normal School requires the completion of an enrolment form FOR EACH CHILD YOU WISH TO ENROL. Click here to download this form. In addition to the enrolment form please also complete the following sheet for New Entrant enrolments only. Early Childhood Education Information (New Entrant Enrolments Only) Enrolment applications can be emailed to Loraine Best, Enrolment Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For a copy of our school home zone click here.
Message From The Principal
If you have taken the time to collect a Kelburn Normal School prospectus (available from the school office) or visit our website, you must have a real interest in education perhaps that of your own child or of some young person close to you.
I wish to assure you that Kelburn Normal School is worth investigating, as it is an educational institution where excellence is encouraged and achieved.
Success at primary school depends on a three-way partnership between school, student and parents and your enthusiasm will be a vital aspect in determining your child's goals and aspirations at school. I recognise that when you send your child to Kelburn Normal you will have put considerable thought into your decision and I believe that the responsibility rests on the school to ensure that your child receives quality teaching.
The Normal School status refers to the fact that Kelburn provides on-going assistance and guidance in teacher training. As such, staff are excellent practitioners, skilled in the delivery of teaching programmes and leaders within the profession.
Kelburn Normal School graduates are tall poppies. During their school years they are cared for in a values based, caring family environment, but are also encouraged to set goals and to reach for the stars. High academic standards are advocated and achieved at Kelburn Normal.
Kelburn Normal School is a long established school with many fine traditions and a well defined core culture. This gives strength and stability and means we can be very clear about what we can offer. The special character of Kelburn Normal School is outlined in our prospectus and the benefits your child will gain are detailed.
Our students learn in well disciplined, well structured surroundings. I believe, however, that this is not enough. The needs of society are changing. We must change too and the school works consistently on initiatives to better prepare its students for life in the Twenty First Century.
It is imperative for New Zealand's future that capable, values driven, men and women achieve positions of influence and authority. I believe that an education at Kelburn Normal offers the opportunity for students to build up a network of others with common educational achievements and expectations. These expectations are a firm foundation for future secondary and tertiary education, in which Kelburn Normal students are renowned for their success.
We, at Kelburn Normal, look to the future with enthusiasm. Our teaching and learning programmes are of the highest order and our students' results speak for themselves.
If you would like to consider how your child can contribute to and benefit from an education at Kelburn Normal School, please make an appointment and take time to look over the school. You will be made most welcome.
For New Entrants
The dedicated, talented, professional and innovative Junior staff provide Kelburn Normal School children with the highest quality of education and the best possible start to their school career.
We deliver opportunities to encourage the development of problem solving skills, the taking of appropriate risks in learning and foster a love of learning.
We Take Pride In What We Offer:
- Reading, writing, language, mathematics, visual and performing arts, science, social studies, technology, physical education, and basic Te Reo.
- A smooth trasition to school.
- New Entrant Chit-Chat sessions each term to share with parents the class programme and issues.
- A secure staff and friendly environment with emphasis on being thoughtful, of needs of others and to be kind and to care for others.
- Regular monitoring of pupils and feedback to parents through regular and informative goal setting sessions, reports and two way interviews.
- Parent involvement in classroom programmes.
- A team approachcaring for your child and their family throughout their time in the junior school area.
- Co-operative and caring team teacher approach.
- Regular togetherness as a junior school department with assemblies, buddy class, class sharing to promote an attitude of belonging.
WE TAKE YOUR CHILD ON BOARD IN ALL ASPECTS
Social, Academic and emotional well-being
You and your child are welcome to contact us to arrange a series of introductory visits prior to your child turning five. Please contact the school office (email@example.com)one month before your child starts school to arrange these visits.