The Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees
The school is governed by a Board of Trustees comprising parent representatives, a teacher representative and the Principal.
The Ministry of Education requires schools to have a Board which is structured in this way to ensure the interests of the wider school community are represented.
Representative members are generally elected through Board elections, which are held every three years. The next election is due in May 2013.
Some key roles of the Board are to:
- ensure that the school provides a safe environment and quality education for the students
- set the strategic direction of the school, in consultation with staff, parents, and students
- approve the school's annual budget and report its operation to the community
- govern the management of personnel, property, finance and administration
- liaise closely with the Principal as the Professional Leader and Chief Executive Officer of the Board
- liaise closely with the community, particularly through key groups such as the school’s Parent Teacher Association.
- The Principal and staff are then responsible for implementing the strategic plan, as the overriding guide to the management of the school.
Our current Board Members are:
- Andrew Bird (Principal)
- Tim Stewart (Chair)
- Matthew Christie
- Lisa Moore
- Martin Read
- John Sneyd
- Bob Walker
- Susie Brown (Staff Rep)
The Board encourages parents to become involved in the school. If you have questions or complaints, please follow the process of taking them initially to the teacher or staff member involved. If you don’t get a satisfactory response, the matter needs to be escalated to the Syndicate Leader, Deputy Principal, Principal and, if necessary, the Board of Trustees.
Issues related to the day-to-day management of the school need to be discussed with the Principal, but the Board welcomes communication from parents in relation to the overall governance of the school. We will review and respond to any correspondence regularly.
Parents are also welcome to attend Board meetings, held monthly at the school. Check the school calendar or ask the office staff for meeting dates. Copies of minutes, agendas and reports are also available at the school office or from the Board secretary Loraine Best.
For more information on Boards of Trustees go to www.nzsta.org.nz
Within the Strategic Plan is the School Charter. The Charter further defines the overall direction of the school and includes the school's mission statement:
Kelburn Normal School will provide a broad-based, quality education for its students. This will be based on individual needs and the desire for young people to experience a sense of achievement and develop confidence and self esteem.
The school will develop and promote lifelong skills, attitudes and values to meet the social and cultural challenges of New Zealand society and to contribute to it within a constantly changing world.